It's the Charm & Grace of a strong Woman that makes her....Unforgettable. ~~ JennyMcCarthy
Welcome to My World.....

By: Kanoe Iseri

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

San Francisco Highlights 2010....




I love San Francisco!  The fast-pace, trendy feel of the city just excites me!  Throughout the years, my mom and I have traveled there quite often and have established a list of "favorites."  The Handlery Union Square Hotel is our hotel of choice.  It's convenient, reasonable, and near Union Square. Shopping and Restaurants are all within walking distance.  Although we didn't have a chance to dine out on this trip, our favorite restaurants there are Tommy Toy's Restaurant and Crustacean.  Another must while in the bay area is hot and delicious clam chowder in a bread bowl from Boudin's.

Here are some highlights from my recent trip.  My camera broke, so I don't have as much pictures as I'd like.  So please bear with my iphone-quality photos.  First stop:  Alcatraz.


I highly recommend this tour.  Luckily, my mom bought our tickets beforehand via the internet.  Tickets were all sold out the day we got there.  We took the day tour, which included transportation to the island as well as an individual audio tour.  The audio tour was excellent b/c we could go at our own speed and pause/rewind as we needed to.  I liked that they tried to keep the prison itself as realistic as possible, even including pictures of past residents.


Points of interest were the detailed history of past residents, their living quarters, and the actual hatch that inmates used to escape.  Cells were left open and outfitted to depict how the prisoners lived.  I really enjoyed this tour and will encourage anyone visiting the city to take it.  Please note, you do have to climb quite a steep hill, so this tour is not recommended for disabled people or slow walkers.


Next stop:  Candlestick Park.  San Francisco 49ers vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers.



This was my first ever pro football game!  Although I'm not a Football or 49ers' Fan, just the thought that it was my first time was so exciting.  So there we are, 9 Hawaiians heading to the freezing cold Candlestick Park. Luckily, I was warned beforehand so I was prepared for the cold weather. 


Luckily, we were on the side that the sun was shining, so the weather was ok.  But when the sun went down.....Brrrrr! 49er fans, like other fans, did the usual pre-game tailgating.  Everyone is outfitted in Niner attire....I'm so glad I bought my Niner hat and scarf. The game was okay, actually not exciting at all.  Later, everyone told me that that was the worst game I could've ever gone to!  Needless to
 say, I had a BLAST!

 Next stop:  San Jose Sharks' Hockey Game....!

My very FIRST professional Hockey Game in a sold-out arena.  These Sharks' fan are die-hards! Loved the spirit at this game.  There were actually people outside asking to BUY tickets for this game.  Such the opposite scene at the 49ers' game, where people were literally giving away game tickets.


So there I was, sitting away from my family in the middle of an entire row of fanatical male fans.  Sharks Attire, jerseys, hats in tow.  They knew I was a "virgin" at this game, so they were so kind to explain what was happening.  First, however, I was told fan etiquette.  Do not lean forward in your seat, they said, because the fans in back will yell at you.  Oh, and don't walk/rise during the game because that would call for another scolding.  There I sat, straight up and scared to move.  Excuse me usher.....Where the hell can I get some alcoholic beverages?

Needless to say, the game was exciting.  Whenever they scored, the fans all stood up and performed this special cute victory dance!  Oh, and yes there was one fight.  Two referees were standing right there and the two guys were throwing blows.  First one down loses!  Part of the excitement of the game, I was told.


I wished we had a similar team like this in Hawaii.  It would be so fun to support a pro team here and be a die-hard fan like these fans were.....

Last stop:  Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco...

Each time we're in the bay area, we try to grab a meal here.  Seafood is my favorite.....Especially crab!  The highlight of our day here was buying two steamed crabs from the open market.  The seller had a big, boiling pot of water, so we picked the crab we wanted and he cooked it right there.  That night, we went back to our hotel, spread newspaper over the table, and ate the crab.  It was soooo delicious, soooo buttery.  I was in total bliss...yummy!  I recommend buying the crab there just to taste the difference...there's something about the water there that makes the crab so scrumptious!
So my San Francisco trip was Amazing.....My most Exciting Event was becoming a Godmother to my precious Niece Grace.  I will discuss that event in another post.  Spending a week in my favorite city with my family was absolutely priceless!  Memories to last a lifetime.......




No comments: